?¼ pint / 150ml condensed milk
4 oz / 100g sugar?1 oz
25g golden syrup?3 oz
75g butter?8 oz
225g grated carrot
1. Stir all the time that the mixture is being heated.
2. Use a large heavy pan – Dissolve the sugar and syrup in the milk and add the grated carrots and any flavouring.
3. Boil vigorously, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sugar thermometer shows the temperature to be 240°F or 115°C. Or if like me you don’t have such a thing……once it starts to “bond” together, change colour and start to smell toffee-ish!
4. Take care not to splash the mixture which is very hot. But a sticky cooker is inevitable.
5. Take off the heat.
6. Stir in the butter a little at a time.
7. Then pour the mixture into a greased 8? / 20cm square tin to cool.
8. Cut into small squares when cold and store in an airtight tin. Or roll into balls and drop in icing sugar (my preference). ?I tend to make twice the recipe amount as keep well and ……surprisingly stocks seem to disappear quite rapidly!
Additional Flavouring if desired:
2 oz / 50g melted plain chocolate (not cooking chocolate)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tbsp orange juice
2 drops vanilla essence