1 side of salmon fillet
Rock or coarse sea salt
Bunch of fresh dill
1. Cut the salmon fillet in half and lay one half, skin side down, on a large piece of cling film. 2. Cover the whole surface with a deep layer of salt and chopped dill.
3. Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of sugar over this layer, and then place the second piece of salmon on top, this time skin side up.
4. Press together firmly and then wrap the whole thing in cling film until well sealed.
5. Put the salmon in a deep dish and put a board on top of the salmon with some heavy weights on top to press the salmon.
6. Keep in the fridge for three days, turning the salmon daily.
7. Serve thinly sliced with brown bread and a mustard dill sauce.
The gravlax will keep for weeks, and freezes well.