8oz of lamb shank or shoulder on the bone.
1 largish potato
2 medium onions
3 oz pearl barley
?1.Roast lamb at 20 mins per pound.
2. Broth would have been made from the leftovers from a roast, or simply from the bones. 3. Once cooled remove meat from bones, and put bones in pan, bring to the boil and simmer for at least an hour. This is your tasty stock.
3. With a little oil heat all vegetables until starting to soften.
4. Add stock, turn up the heat till nearly at the boil!
5. Add pearl barley and simmer for 30 mins.
6. Add chopped lamb and season at this point.
Depending on when you want to serve it…….I think soup is better made day before for flavours to absorb and to get all the goodness of the tastes out of those wonderful ingredients……..Yum!?
Also, this recipe can be adapted pretty much to most any vegetable around, or what was season. A great winter favourite, for example was kale.
Full of vitamins and rich in iron iot is a forgotten but returning vegetable.
Try it…..I love it and great as a veg with fish in particular. Likewise, any meat bones or leftovers can be turned into a great stock, and soo much tastier than cubes.