Large potatoes (1 per person) King Edward or Maris Piper
Salt and pepper
1. Peel the potatoes and then grate them into a bowl.
2. Put the grated potato into the centre of a clean tea towel and holding the cloth closed, squeeze the potato to release water from the flesh of the potato.
3. Try to get as much water out of the potato as possible.
4. Return the potato to the bowl, season and mix in the egg to bind the potato.
5. Mould the potato into flat cakes about the size of the palm of your hand, and fry them gently in hot oil in a frying pan until golden brown.
6. They can be made earlier and then reheated in an oven if necessary.