Makes about 10
110g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2500ml /½ pint milk
1 tbls Birds custard powder
Oil for frying
1. Sift the flour and custard powder with the salt into a bowl, and make a well in the middle.
2. Add the egg, egg yolk and a little of the milk and mix, gradually drawing the flour from the sides into the middle.
3. When the flour is all mixed, add the rest of the milk and beat well until the mixture is the consistency of single cream.
4. Refrigerate for 30 minutes – this will produce lighter pancakes.
5. Wipe your frying pan with oil to prevent the pancakes sticking and heat till very hot.
6. Pour in just enough mixture to cover the bottom of the pan and as soon as it has set, turn or flip the pancake.
7. When brown on both sides, turn the pancake out onto a warm plate and keep in a warm oven.
8. Serve with sugar and lemon juice, or a spoonful of jam.