Taken from one of the handwritten recipe book, dated 1914, of our Flying Kitchen Chef, Alice McKerrow’s, Grandmother.
For 1qt (approx. 1 lt) vinegar (malt or distilled is fine)
2lb green tomatoes
1½lb apples (cored and peeled)
1½lb brown sugar
2oz coarse salt
4oz shallots/onions, finely chopped
2oz root ginger
4oz preserved/stem ginger
1 cup malt/treacle
1. Chop tomatoes and apples into small, bite sized pieces.
2. Grate ginger.
3. Put all ingredients into a large, heavy bottomed pan.
4. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the fruit becomes a pulp.
5. Simmer for at least an hour.
6. Put into sterilized jars and leave to stand for at least 3 months before using to let the flavours mature.