Recipe from our Flying Kitchen Chef, Alice McKerrow
8oz medium oatmeal
3oz plain flour
¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ – 1tsp salt (depending on taste)
2oz lard or dripping
1. Pinhead oatmeal for rolling the mixture in (approx. 1 cup)
2. Sift flour, bicarb and salt into the medium oatmeal.
3. Melt lard, and pour over the oatmeal mixture.
4.Mix through with a knife.
5. Add boiling water, little at a time, until the mixture becomes a soft dough that is not too sticky.
6. Roll out the dough on the pinhead oatmeal.
7. Leave to air-dry for approx. 10 mins, then either use a cutter to cut circles or make triangles (farles).
8. Place on an ungreased baking tray and bake in a hot oven (220OC/425OF/Gas Mark 7) for 15 mins. Alternatively, cook on a girdle, turning over half way through to ensure both sides are crisp but not brown.