Makes enough for 6 servings
1kg fresh beetroot
1.5 litres vegetable stock or water
Large handful of fresh wild garlic leaves, picked that day
Salt and pepper
1. Cut off the stalks and wrap the beetroot in silver foil, dousing with oil and salt and pepper. 2. 2. Roast in a hot oven (200°c) for 1 hour, until the beets are tender. This converts the starches in the beets into sugars, making them sweeter and more flavoursome.
3. Allow them to cool and peel them, and cut them into chunks.
4. Place in a saucepan and add the stock or water and half of the garlic leaves, finely shredded. 5. Bring to the oil and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and liquidise in a blender.
7. Add seasoning and pour into bowls, adding a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of the finely shredded wild garlic leaves.
This can also be served chilled on a hot day